Updated: Nov 12, 2019
Hello everyone, this is your man Statboy here to talk to you today about a big trade that happened last week. The L.A. Rams acquired shutdown cornerback Jalen Ramsey from the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars traded Jalen Ramsey for a 2020 first-round pick, 2021 first-round pick, and 2021 fourth-round pick. But the big question here is: Was it worth giving away their future? Right now, I can say it was a good trade because their secondary was getting real thin with CB Aqib Talib put on IR, trading away CB Marcus Peters to the Ravens, and SS John Johnson III was placed on IR. The problem is that it's the last year of Ramsey‘s rookie contract which means the Rams will have to sign him to a big contract to keep him next year. After they already signed 3 big contracts recently.
1. QB Jared Goff 4 year $134 million ($110 million guarantee)
2. DE Aaron Donald 6 year $135 million ($87 million guarantee)
3. RB Todd Gurley 4 year $60 million ($45 million guarantee)
He's going to want what he deserves for being the best cornerback in the league.
Now, was it worth giving up 2 first round picks and a 4th to get him when you can find superstars in the 4th round and beyond? For example:
1. Tom Brady (the G.O.A.T) - drafted in the 6th round. Since then, he’s been selected to 7 pro bowls and 3 all-pro teams. Not to mention His 6 championship rings
2. Bart Starr - drafted in the 17th round and was selected to 4 pro bowls, 4 all-pro teams, and won 5 championship rings
3. Roger Staubach - drafted in the 10th round and went on to appear in Super Bowl 5 times winning 2 of them.
4. Shannon Sharpe - drafted in the 7th round and went on to be selected to 8 pro bowls, 4 all-pro teams, and got 3 championship rings.
The question that the L.A. Rams should be asking themselves is: Will it take time for Jalen Ramsey to get in the groove over in L.A or will he be a bust in our system? Personally, I don't think it was worth mortgaging the future to bring in a superstar that may or may not sign an extension in the offseason. There's a chance that he could lift the Rams over the hump and bring the city of LA Super Bowl, but if it doesn't work out this year then they risk losing out on future draft picks AND a superstar. Only time will tell!
These are my personal thoughts and opinions on the Jalen Ramsey trade. What do you guys think? Let me know in the comment section!